Friday, November 8, 2013

Five for Friday!

 Wooo Hooo! It is finally Friday! I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching to share 5 random things from my week!
 This week we began talking about Thanksgiving. To begin our unit we made a KWL chart.
I was surprised by what the kiddos did and did not know. I love to see how their minds work.

 Directed art alert!!! If you have read my previous posts, you probably have realized that I LOVE directed art. When planning this lesson on Native Americans I worried the kids would not be happy to be doing directed art again.  However, when I started the lesson Thursday, one of my kids said, "Oh wow! I love directed art. I wondered when we were going to do that again." The rest of my class seemed to concur which is good because there is still a lot more directed art in their future! We did two different activities. First Native Americans using our fingers.
Then we read the book 10 Fat Turkeys and learned how to draw a turkey using directed art. We then decomposed the number 10. We put some turkeys on the fence and some turkeys on the ground. This was a lot of fun and they did really well! You can pick up my writing template for free here!
 Mamma Mia Cook Off is tomorrow!!! A few of the team members and their spouses are coming to my house tonight to begin cooking our soup. We are going to cook some extra for our dinner to taste test and to take to share with the faculty on Monday. I am excited to have some grown up time with my teacher friends I never get to see!
 Because Mamma Mia is tomorrow, I made aprons and bandanas for a few of us. I have not sewn in a while, but I think they turned out cute. We are dressing as 18th century Italian farmers! I will have to add pictures after tomorrow night!

The Mr. and I have been trying to be a little healthier lately so I have been trying to cook dinner every night and have leftovers for lunches. I have been using Rachel Ray's cookbook, Just In Time. We have had some amazing dinners this week and I have not spent a lot of time in the kitchen. Our favorite was Hoppin' John Soup with rice!! We have had 3 meals from this book this week and they have been excellent! If you are looking for a good cookbook with fast easy dinners, check this out.

This has been a crazy busy week and tomorrow is going to be more of the same but I know it is going to be a lot of fun! What crazy fun things have you done this week? Link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching  or comment below and let us know!

2 comments:

  1. I love directed art too. I think it makes them feel successful. Your projects are cute and I'd like to try the decomposing activity. Cooking every night would be a lofty goal for me. That cookbook looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love when they kind of freak out and say "I can't draw a..." and now they know they can. The cooking has been a little tough but my husband has been a trooper and helps as much as he can so it goes quicker and is actually a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and leaving a comment!!!
I love love love reading and replying to your comments!